Thursday, March 17, 2011

Hasta La Vista, Dominica

My grandma always says, "You know it's a good trip when you feel ready to leave". Well, tonight is the last night and I feel ready to leave for the most part. Although I will miss the slow-paced life of Dominica and the pure beauty constantly surrounding me, I am ready to take what I have learned back home and share it with the Trinity community. The hospitality and genuine kindness we have received on this lovely island filled me with the motivation to finish my semester strong!

One thing I have learned throughout this trip is the vital importance of education. Working at the Alpha Center and visiting the primary school showed me how powerful teaching can be. I am so excited for the futures of the girls that plan on being teachers in our groups! They have such a bright and rewarding future ahead of them. Undoubtedly, the lessons we learned on our trip will benefit them in the classroom.

Alright I have to go pack up my clothes and souvenirs and try and get some sleep before I have to wake up at 6 in the am to catch a plane! But who are we kidding? I plan on spending the entire night under the vast blanket of stars and chatting about my week with my friends. Sleeping is so over-rated.