Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Nope. We are most definitely NOT boat people.

My apologies for a delayed posting. Last night I was very tired and mildly dehydrated so I chugged a full water bottle and promptly went to bed to the sound of crickets and birds chirping. What a great nighttime soundtrack! I think the other gals covered the basics of yesterday but, of course, I would like to add my two cents. So the Alpha Center is a lovely, happy place. The staff there is excellent! The best part of the day occurred when a majority of our group was waiting to leave on a sidewalk that led to the kitchen. Because it was lunchtime, the kids were going in and out to get their food. I then had the members of our group form a tunnel with our arms for the kids to walk through. They all loved it as we cheered for them as they passed. One boy, Jahim, went through again and again and brought a new friend along with him every time.When we went back today a lot of the kids wanted us to form the tunnel again. Most of them signaled this by taking our hands and raising them up and then cheering. I hope the teachers don't find this to be a nuisance for the rest of the year...

Another thing I would like to tell y'all (by the way, this is my first time publicly saying that bit of slang, be proud to be apart of this moment) about our awesome bus driver named Victor. On the super steep drive up to the falls, I sat next to him in the front and engaged him in conversation. I told him that his country is beautiful and so different than where I came from. As I described the flat lands of my native Nebraska, his jaw literally dropped. "You mean there are no mountains?!" he asked. He couldn't imagine land that was flat. I then told him that a few of my aunts and uncles are farmers and that the land in my home is very good for farming. He said, "Aaahhh. Your family must be very hard workers." I couldn't agree with him more.
Alright alright alright. I will move on to today. As you have noticed, brevity is not my strong suit. But I am tryin' my best, that's for sure!

When we got back to Holy Redeemer last night, we met a group of priests from the 11 Catholic Parishes here in Dominica. They are all very friendly. Paige and I woke up early this morning to hear one of them jovially singing in the shower in the room below us.

Today we got to be assistant teachers in the classrooms at the Alpha Center. I was in a classroom with four boys who were all gems. We worked on reading, writing, and the concepts of big and little. The story we read was about a princess. I asked one of the boys if we looked like princesses and he said, "Duh. Of course!" Perfect answer. The teacher of our classroom is simply amazing, as are all the other staff members. I have grown to admire all of their complete dedication. It's truly inspiring. The teacher we worked with had a crazy busy life, much similar to all the other teachers I know! After the Alpha Center she picks up her two-year-old son, goes to teach sign language to first and kindergartners, tutors one child, and then tutors another. And then, as she says, "Only then, Shelby, do I finally get to go home!"

After lunch we went into the capital city and walked for quite a while. It was interesting because a massive cruise ship had docked and tourists infiltrated the city (myself included, of course!) Paige, Leah, Katie and I all got juice from the world-famous Juice Man. While he was mixing a concoction of various fresh fruits and carrots (who knew they could be so tasty?), I asked how long he had been working there. He said, "I have been here for eleven years. I meet people from all over the world. I am very famous." He was really charming and amiable. We were all wearing the same shirts for our program and he said, "You are not from the boat, are you?" We asked him how he knew and he said, "You see, all the boat people dress so rich and you, you do not look like that." Obviously, the image of poor college students transcends cultures and nations.

It was so much fun to engage the local vendors and even a large group of primary school boys in conversation. A common theme is that they are very proud of their country and very aware of how beautiful it is. Many of them were very interested in our work at the Alpha Center, a resource which most of them had never heard of. They also told us to invite our friends back and all of them were so hospitable and happy to chat. We also got some attention from the men as we walked by. This is one moment in which I will chose not to elaborate.

This is a PSA: If anyone out there in the world's widest web has skills in wood shop and feels compelled to serve, the Alpha Center is in search of a new teacher. They have a lovely shop at the school and children that are enthusiastic and ready to learn. Also, they would like some hand-crank sewing machines because the children take sewing class. Just thought I would shout it out there!

For those of you that I have stuck with me to the end, bless your heart. And I bid you adieu. Nighty night!