Sunday, March 13, 2011

I think I'm in love...

Howdy mom! (I assume since this blog is just in it's beginning stages that she is the only one actually reading it)
Yesterday morning I hauled my behind out of bed before the sun woke up. It was painful but I knew it would all be worth it! And after a long day of travelling, it most certainly was because I am currently ever so blissful on the gorgeous island of Dominica. I should mention, however, that our day of travel did not go without a problem, a big problem: my best friend Katie got left behind in San Antonio! I won't go into the detail because I am sure Katie can tell the story better, but be assured that she is well and on her way to Dominica today! Yes, I am a story tease, but I gotta have some sort of cliff hanger to get you guys to read our blog.

Now I would like to fill you in on our eventful drive up to Holy Redeemer, the breathtaking retreat center where we are staying. A most friendly Dominican man named Mally picked us up from the airport. Mally owns his own taxi company and his sons work for him. Our drive from the airport was over an hour long, and after much deliberation, I have come up with a metaphor to aptly describe the trip. As we bounced in the backseat of Mally's 4 Runner, it felt as if I was following the trajectory of an inflated balloon just after it was let go. There were an infinite number of curves and twists in the road and it would have made a most excellent theme park ride. Definitely not for people that get car sick!
As we whizzed through the country (literally we drove from one end to the other), Mally proudly told us about his country. Below is a list of my observations and Mally's tid-bits that he shared.
  • Of those that I have encountered thus far, a majority of the Dominican men are extremely quiet and reserved. This is a refreshing welcome after having living with loud and obnoxious college boys for a semester and a half. ;)
  • Dominicans drive on the opposite side of the road! We first discovered this Euro-style fact when Leah got in the 4 Runner on the driver's side. She had zero intention of navigating and consequently switched seats.
  • I did not spot any road signs or regulations until 40 minutes into our drive. Dominicans have an unwritten driving language that only they understand. I, being used to these amenities, was a bit nervous on our drive. Obviously I am not fluent in this language whatsoever.
  • Our driver has 12 children! Many of his girls are extremely successful and living in various states throughout the US
  • This past week was the island's festive celebration called Carnival. Mally's granddaughter was named Carnival's princess. He is so proud of her and he showed us a newspaper clipping of her
  • Throughout the country there are various signs reading LIME, which is the national telephone company. Mally told us that cell phones are becoming increasingly popular. He also added that Dominica recently got cable television just like America. He said that now Dominica is a spoiled country. Hmm I wonder what he would think of video games, iPads, iPhones, myPhones, yourPhones, etc.
  • He also told us that Sunday is the day to go to church and relax!
Anywho, I won't bore you with any more details. Actually, who are we kidding. The real reason I am ceasing this entry is because I need to get ready for the beach! Today we are visiting Emerald pool to dive for precious emeralds (not really), visiting the native territory, picking Katie up from the airport, and then going to the beach. These feelings I am feeling inside are most certainly my falling in love with this little island. Let the puppy love begin!